Tuesday, May 2, 2017

I Survived the Moldavian Massacre. She Didn't.

There are cliffhangers, and then there are CLIFFHANGERS, and thirty two years ago this month, Dynasty ended it's fifth season with the mother of all cliffhangers.  Of course I'm talking about the Moldavian massacre, in which Amanda Carrington, long lost daughter of Blake Carrington and Alexis Colby, marches down the aisle to wed Prince Michael of Moldavia, a man she's not sure she loves (but think of the financial advantages!) just as terrorists spray the chapel with bullets in a military coup, leaving the guests lying bloodied and lifeless, but still looking glamorous of course and with no bullet holes in sight, and leaving us all wondering "Who will live?  Who will die?" all summer long.  As it turns out, Moldavian rebels are shitty shots, and the only casualties were Steven's boyfriend Luke Fuller and Lady Ashley Mitchell, two minor characters that were forgotten as soon as everyone returned to Denver. 


Except that I never forgot, and I was thrilled to meet Lady Ashley's portrayer, the glamorous and incredibly gracious Ali MacGraw, yesterday on the Upper East Side, gushing about how much I loved her on Dynasty and laughing with her about how wonderful the wedding was.



Fun fact:  Ali was once married to Robert Evans, the legendary former head of Paramount Pictures and Hollywood force of nature, who was a client of my previous law firm (and was also briefly married to Catherine Oxenberg, who played Amanda Carrington.  Weird, huh?).  I was once asked to deliver a very sizable royalty check to Woodland, his famed Beverly Hills estate, and to this day I regret not staying for the drink that was offered to me because I was running late due to traffic and had dinner reservations.

No comments:

Post a Comment