Monday, May 5, 2014

80's Music Monday

There are certain songs that get into your DNA, transporting you to another time or place whenever you hear them.  I can't hear Stand Back without flashing back to a cracked out after hours party in the ballroom of the Renaissance Hotel Palm Springs, my friend Andy and I twirling around the room on ecstasy in ecstasy while Stevie Nicks assured us it was all right, all right.  And the guitar opening of Sweet Child O' Mine puts me back at my friend Mike's house on Chautauqua Lake just before high school graduation, a group of friends drinking our first beers and certain we'd always be friends while dreaming of what college was like.

Every time I hear Take My Breath Away I'm in the movie theater in Batavia, New York watching Top Gun with my cousins Gina and Christopher, who weren't really my cousins at all but my mom's cousin Jackie's kids, which I guess makes them my second cousins or something like that, making it okay for us to get married and have kids that weren't mongoloids if we were so inclined and I wasn't gay and hated kids.  Which is really just a long way to say here's Terri Nunn from Berlin.
And then there are the songs that get stuck in your head for whatever reason and just keep playing over and over and over again like some kind of musical Groundhog Day until you're willing to deal with a lifetime of drooling and eating your meals through a straw to have the lobotomy that will get a piece of shit like Jessie's Girl out of your head for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment