Monday, October 6, 2014

Blondie Ambition

I've been a fan for a long time, but for some reason I've been obsessed with Blondie lately.  Like full on OBSESSED.  Like, greatest hits pumping my morning workouts EVERY SINGLE MORNING obsessed.  Maybe it's because the opening strains of Heart of Glass still make me smile whenever and wherever I hear them?  Maybe it's that I'm living in NYC now and they're such a part of the city's musical history?  Maybe I'm regressing back to 9 years old, playing hide and seek with the kids in the neighborhood while Kenny Reinhardt sang 'One way, or another, I'm gonna getcha getcha getcha getcha' trying to find us?  Maybe it's because at 69 years old Debbie Harry is still a badass that can put all these new young bitches to shame?  Whatever it is, Blondie is still dropping their shit and scattering glittery shards of YES all over the dancefloor in my brain!

To coincide with Blondie's 40th anniversary and the release of their new album Ghosts of Download, guitarist Chris Stein shared his iconic photographs of Debbie Harry and 'the cool creatures of the '70s and '80s New York rock scene' in  Chris Stein/Negative: Me, Blondie and the Advent of Punk, which documents the band's life on stage, on the road and at home, and is THE coffee table book of the season in my house.  Chris signed my copy and was cool enough to sign the vintage Rolling Stone I've been holding onto since 1979 I bought it on ebay last year and will one day get around to framing.

No comments:

Post a Comment