Thursday, August 14, 2014

All I Wanted Was An Autograph!

I'm still shaking and I can't collect my thoughts, so if this post seems like I'm rambling or have tourette syndrom I'm sorry, but

BOY GEORGE JUST TOOK THIS SELFIE WITH ME!!!!!!

I'm been a huge fan since the early 80's, and used to drive my mom nuts singing along at the top of my lungs whenever the Karma Chameleon video came on MTV, back when MTV played videos.  Culture Club was my first concert (Memorial Auditorium in Buffalo, New York, April 3, 1984) and I bought every Smash Hits, Star Hits and Bop magazine his picture was in, along with every album, book, t-shirt, button and poster he ever put out.  When everyone else was into The Police or Duran Duran I was into Boy George, and you couldn't tell me shit because I know a good drag queen when I see one!  I met George in Washington DC in 1995, back when he was promoting his autobiography, and aside from a photo with him that I've always wanted to get signed I don't really remember much about that day.

Well, George is in town to promote the new Culture Club tour (and yes, I already have tickets) and I got a tip that he was at Rockefeller Center this afternoon doing press, so I grabbed my photo and ran like Usain Bolt at the Olympics hoping to catch him.  Waiting, waiting, waiting at the elevator bank for him to come out, and who should walk right passed me (carrying a Louis Vuitton hat box - how fierce!) but Boy George!!  Now Rockefeller Center has this thing about hounding celebrities inside (read: they don't like it) so I had to race in front of him discreetly, get outside before he could, and get my pen and photo ready, which was no problem even though my heart was pounding through my chest like tribal drums because I am a pro.

If there's one thing I know about Boy George, it's that she can be a bitchy queen, but here's the shocker - not only did he sign my photo and laugh about how old it was
but after realizing his car wasn't there and walking back inside he came outside again, said "You look like you want a photo too", took my cell phone from me and took this selfie of us himself!!!  NO LIE!!! 

And then he did the same thing for my friend Pavan!!

Best Throwback Thursday ever!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment