Monday, May 18, 2015

Quarterback Throwback

Believe it or not, I used to be a football fan as a kid.  Growing up in Fredonia, NY (population 27, plus three dogs, some cows and a chicken) it was a big deal when the Buffalo Bills started holding training camp at the local college, and my mom and dad used to take my brother and I over every day to watch practice and get autographs, only to have it backfire spectacularly when I invited players over for dinner without asking permission first.  (This may have been the seed of my preoccupation with celebrity, and if so, my therapist is right: it's always the parents!)  We had season tickets on the 20 yard line and my brother and I would fight over who got to go with Dad to the game on which weeks.  We would tailgate in the Rich Stadium parking lot before the game, and would sing along to the Bills fight song every Sunday ("Buffalo's got the spirit, talking proud, talking proud...."), waving our Whammys, Whammy Weenies or whatever other Bills related tchotchkes Bells supermarket was giving away that week like a bunch of fucking lunatics, even when the Bills were losing or it was freezing cold out, both of which were most of the time.  Those Sunday afternoons bonding with my Dad were magical and still put a smile on my face when I think about them, so you can imagine how it felt to see Bills quarterback (and Pro Football Hall of Famer thank you very much!) Jim Kelly again after all these years.  Like a throwback Thursday on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment