Friday, August 12, 2016

Gonna Make You Sweat!

You may not know her name or recognize her face, but you damn sure know her booming, powerhouse sound.  Martha Wash has been the Queen of Clubland since the late '70's, backing disco king Sylvester (I KNOW!) on the legendary (You Make Me Feel) Mighty Real and Dance (Disco Heat) and getting the queens dancing and going nuts as one half of The Weather Girls with camp classic It's Raining Men before becoming the voice (but not the face.....long story) of Black Box and C+C Music Factory in the early '90s.


A gay icon, Martha has been an outspoken advocate for the LGBT community for more than 30 years, and along with ecstasy and other recreationals, she's responsible for some of the greatest nights of my life, so DUH, of course I'd want to meet her.  But at 7 AM and unmade up she was not having it.  We talked (about baseball, of all things) for a few minutes and she was very gracious, but a photo wasn't an option.  And I understand that, which is why I went back after her segment, then waited another hour in 1000% humidity because of course she had to post tape a segment on the hottest fucking day of the year before leaving the studio.  She beamed when she saw me, came right over saying "You came back!  For that I'll take a few.  Yes I will!" and posed up a storm, and all I kept thinking as it trickled down my ass crack is 'just like the song, this bitch made me sweat.'




No comments:

Post a Comment