Monday, April 8, 2013

America's Got Talent at the Today Show

It's rare that I have to choose between two celebrities that I truly enjoy appearing on two different shows at the same time, but today was one of those days. Carol Burnett?  Howard Stern?  Carol Burnett?  Howard Stern?  Carol Burnett?  Howard Stern?  Carol was appearing on Good Morning America while Howard and the America's Got Talent judges were doing a red carpet appearance at the Today Show.  My friend Ashleigh (there, you got your shout out!) rationalized that Carol lives in LA, so the chance to see her is rarer than the chance to see Howard, especially when AGT starts filming live shows from Radio City Music Hall, which I can see from my office window.  BUT.....when Stern show regular, and my friend, Mariann from Brooklyn called me yesterday morning to ask if I was going to Hammerstein Ballroom for the AGT auditions and to confirm a time for the red carpet arrivals and let me know that Stern fans had special access, the decision was a no brainer.  So at 7AM this morning I was at Rockefeller Center for the Today Show with Mariann, High Pitch Erik, Bobo, Fred the Elephant Boy and the Stern Facebook Superfans, waiting to greet the King of All Media.

I can trace my Stern Show experience back to 1997, when I was living in DC and working at a law firm with my friend Sherry, who was a regular listener and always talking about Howard this and Howard that.  She got me into the show and we'd always kiki about Pamela Anderson whenever she was on, and how fabulous she was and how we were dying to meet her.  (Note, she is and I did.  Twice.)  I became a regular listener thanks to Sherry, and can now count Wendy the Retard, Beetlejuice, Eric the Midget and Debbie the Pet Lady as regular to my morning as my coffee.  Thanks Sherry!!!

I can't describe the experience in a way that will make any sense to anyone who doesn't listen to the show, but I can say that when the judges came out the crowd went wild.  Mariann is devoted to all things Howard, and she had signs, posters, tons of candy, and had the crown chanting Howard, Howard, Howard, Howard!  It was as if the other judges weren't there, and Howard ate it up!  On the red carpet, he stopped and thanked her and since I was standing next to her, I asked him to sign his 2011 Rolling Stone cover for me.  Yes, I finally got Howard Stern's autograph!!!!  Day made!

Mel B. came out next, and I really really really wanted to get a good picture of her, since I love the Spice Girls and all the kitsch they represent.  I remember seeing her at an Emmy party back when I lived in LA and not realizing who she was, and then again at the Melrose flea market when I didn't have my camera, so today was the third time and it was a charm.  Zig a Zig aah!
Heidi Klum was all supermodel and absolutely lovely.  There's not much more to say about her except that she was very nice to the crowd, and actually took the time to have a conversation with High Pitch Erik, which, if you're familiar with High Pitch, is quite an accomplishment.  Good for you Erik!
Nick Cannon was pretty cool, talking with the crowd and posing for pictures. 
Oh, and Howie Mandel was there too but who cares, right?









No comments:

Post a Comment