Friday, March 14, 2014

Classic Drama

If you're a regular reader, you know I've spent  most of my life watching television, and while I love a good sitcom, there's nothing I like better than a good old fashioned soap opera.  From the tender age of eight I began watching some of the greatest shows of my generation - Dynasty, Knots Landing and the one-two punch of Dallas and Falcon Crest, which my mother and I bonded over every Friday night, watching to see who shot J.R. (her) or whether Lorenzo Lamas would take his shirt off (me).  While the rest of the kids were climbing trees and trading baseball cards, I was learning how to navigate hostile company takeovers or drown a bitch in a lily pond cat fight, skills that have proven very useful dodging paparazzi and rabid autographers to get celebrity photos, like this one with Patrick Duffy at Rockefeller Center.
As I got older (and more twisted) and my tastes started to shift, one of my all time favorite shows was Twin Peaks, the quirky, disturbing cult classic about the investigation into the murder of the homecoming queen in a town full of oddities and lunatics.  Seriously, if I have a spirit animal, it's the dream sequence of a dwarf speaking backwards in the third episode (which is also how my brain felt when I took too much Special K at the Factory that one time).  I can still remember sitting on the couch in my apartment my senior year of college, the room lit only by the Christmas tree lights and a light snow falling outside, finding out who killed Laura Palmer while I waited for the dancer that picked me up at the strip club above Burrito Brothers in Dupont Circle to come over with dinner.  (Misty water colored memories....of the way we were....)  Here's Kyle McLachlan, star of Twin Peaks, (and Sex and the City, Desperate Housewives and the best sex scene in the history of cinema in Showgirls) leaving NBC studios.  I wonder if he fucked Linda Evangelista like that?

1 comment: