Wednesday, September 24, 2014

A Little Ditty About Me and Elaine

In late 1990, doing research for a college term paper about the impact of the AIDS epidemic on businesses, I found myself standing outside the 69th Regiment Armory as socialites, designers and supermodels arrived for Seventh on Sale, a fashion industry sample sale to benefit the New York City AIDS Fund.  I remember meeting an up and coming Marc Jacobs that night, seeing Iman and David and Ric and Paulina arrive, and watching Naomi, teetering in platforms, a white beaded mini and towering afro, screeching 'Christy, wait!' as Christy Turlington rushed to greet Calvin and Kelly.  It was freezing that night, and I of course was underdressed, so it was a pleasant surprise when a beautiful girl attending the party stopped to speak with me.  She introduced herself as 'Elaine' and we talked briefly about the event and how the fashion industry was responding to losing so many talented people to HIV.

I went on to get an A on my paper, while Elaine went on to become one of the first Victoria's Secret supermodels and an eighteen year marriage to John Mellencamp until he cheated on her with stretch faced Gumby Meg Ryan.  I've always had an affinity for Elaine, so I had mixed feelings about this photo with John this morning at Sirius until I realized she's probably not reading this blog and it's okay.  Oh yeah, life goes on...

1 comment:

  1. Your story made me smile. Maybe my story will make you feel better about this photo. He is not the one who cheated. He even wrote a song about it. Did you take your photo after he did the Howard Stern interview? The one in which he mentioned Ryan was sent to him 'at the right time'. Another clue.

    ReplyDelete