Tuesday, September 2, 2014

The Glamorous Life

Before Fergie spelled it out for us like some kind of meth faced Sesame Street gold digger, Sheila E. schooled us all on the glamorous life, singing about some chick running around all summer in her mink trying to find a man.  She clearly didn't live in New York, because it's humid as fuck in the summer and the JAPS on the upper east side don't like to sweat.  I mean, I'm wearing underwear and socks under protest and sweating my ass off ("You wish!" - my scale this morning) but a mink?  In summer?  That's nuts!

From the first time I saw the video - Sheila drumming, kicking the cymbals, twirling around and bouncing, then catching the drumsticks - I was a fan, and the song still makes me smile when I hear it.  I've seen her in concert a bunch of times, including once with my Mom when she opened for Lionel Richie (I know!) and last spring when my boyfriend and I danced on stage with her at BB King's, and girlfriend puts on a show!  She's in town this week to promote her memoir, The Beat of My Own Drum, and is not only the most successful Prince protege, but the nicest, signing autographs and posing for photos outside Rockefeller Center today.

No comments:

Post a Comment