Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Brainwashed

Forget Van Gogh, Matisse and Monet.  Some of the coolest art on the planet can be found in the streets of New York.  I'm talking stickers, wheat pasting, stencils and graffiti thrown up on walls, street signs and the sides of buildings by spray-can toting guerillas in the middle of the night to blow smoke up the art world's ass and terrorize the city with humor and creativity.  Sure it's mostly illegal, but maybe that's why it appeals to my inner mischief maker in a way the Mona Lisa never did.  Or maybe it's the bright, bold colors.  Yeah, that must be it.  I've always been a sucker for bold colors. 


The undisputed king of street art is Banksy, but since he's never publicly revealed his identity there's no chance I'm getting a photo with him anytime soon, so here's his protégé Mr. Brainwash instead.  Some conspiracy theorists say that Brainwash IS Banksy, but I don't think so.  I don't have that kind of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment