Monday, February 18, 2013

I can't spell or pronounce her name, but it's the little girl from Beasts of the Southern Wild

Marie's text on Friday read 'GMA I'm sure u don't care but the little black girl  up for acamdy is here.'  I saw the trailer for the movie 'Beasts of the Southern Wild' on demand, but it didn't look the least bit  interesting, so I have no idea what this girl is nominated for, but she's the youngest Academy Award nominee ever and she brings the cutest little puppy purses on the red carpet so I figured WTF, let me try to get a picture.

When I arrived, Marie told me she was already inside, and walked in with her head down and her jacket collar high around her head.  A diva already?  OH LAWD!  Trying to get a peek through the window was impossible, thanks to another fashion segment (when in doubt, do a fashion segment) and some trash to treasure segment with Vanilla Ice.  (I know, right?)  Way too many people in the way to get a good shot of this nine year old kid, so I headed back to the barricades, which were VERY crowded.  I don't get it.  She's nine.  When I was nine years old I was climbing trees and playing spotlight tag with my brother and the kids in the neighborhood, not being interviewed on Good Morning America.  We were riding our bikes to 3D to buy Star Wars trading cards and jumping off the roof of Chris Sausaman's fort with umbrellas, trying to fly like Mary Poppins (I know), not making movies.  I got lots of fan mail for playing Templeton the rat in our third grade production of Charlotte's Web, bringing the house down with my rousing version of the Sesame Street classic 'I Love Trash' (an eerie predictor of my four years in Los Angeles if ever there was one) but I was never nominated for an Oscar.  I blame my parents for not pushing me harder when I was nine.

So the door finally opens and this tiny little girl comes out and the flashbulbs go off and people are calling out to her and it's probably very overwhelming for a nine year old.  But then she walked right over to the barricade across from me and signed a few autographs, which seemed to take forever because her name is Quvenzhané Wallis and I'm sure nobody told her to just make a Q and a squiggle instead of carefully writing out each letter in that way that nine year olds and Pee-Wee Herman do before they learn how to write in cursive.  She must have signed three or four before turning to our side of the barricades and signing a few more.  I wish her luck on Sunday but I seriously think Jessica Chastain is going to take the Oscar.



No comments:

Post a Comment