Thursday, February 7, 2013

Toni Braxton, you're making me high!

Torch singers, those women prepared to go onstage, rip open their chest and show us their broken heart, have always held a special place in gay culture.  Barbra, Liza, Madonna, Cher....we put our divas on pedestals, their every gesture exaggerated by drag queens worldwide.  So imagine my excitement when I learned that Toni Braxton was going to be on Good Morning America AND the Today Show this morning.

Spanish Guitar is my favorite Toni Braxton song; every time I hear it I'm taken back to the dance floor of a small club in New Orleans, my friend Jeff Wilson and I gagging the first time we ever heard the remix!  Un-break My Heart!  Love Shoulda Brought You Home!  Another Sad Love Song!  Oh yes girl, I get you!

I arrived just before 8, and just before Toni.  Not too many people at the barricades, but it didn't matter, because when she arrived she moved just quickly enough for me to miss the shot.  Off to the window, and thankfully not many people watching at the window.  Unfortunately, there were a ton of jappy Carrie Bradshaw wannabe's in the studio, taking pictures of each other with their iPhones waiting for a fashion segment with that dreadful Rachael Zoe.  Seriously, why are we still paying attention to her?  And why are all these girls getting in my way?  Ain't nobody got time for that!  Once the segment was over and the plastics moved, Toni was seated in the chair across the studio, which gave me a clear shot of her left side, because unfortunately she never turned to the window throughout the whole interview.  :(

So it was back to the barricade, where I didn't have to wait long before she came out, stopping to sign a few autographs and pose for a few pictures, all the while excusing herself because she was sick and didn't want to give it to anyone.  Awww!  Sadly, I got a lot of really clear pictures of the right side of her head, but damned if I could get a clear shot of her face!

So after going to work for an hour, then taking an early lunch, I headed over to the Today Show to catch her leaving the fourth hour with Kathie Lee and Hoda.  And she did not disappoint, taking time to sign autographs, pose for photos and give me a full on smile!  Even feeling sick, she was fabulous!  I went back to work and listened to the Spanish Guitar remix for old times sake.


No comments:

Post a Comment