Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Very Young and Restless

Nobody likes getting sick, but I have fond memories of being sick as a child because that meant one thing: going to Grandma's house for the day while my parents were at work.  At 12:30 on the dot my Grandma and I would sit down with our apples, which she carefully pared and sliced because who cares about nutrients, and catch up with our friends in Genoa City on The Young and the Restless.  Weddings, births and the reveal of an evil twin were all part of my coming of age process thanks to those afternoons, and I'd like to think that in her own unique way my Grandma helped prepare me for the world.  Let's face it, if Ashley Abbott can have an affair with Victor Newman, who is married to Nikki, who is having an affair with Ashley's brother Jack, abort Victor's child after he returns to Nikki when she's diagnosed with cancer, then marry the doctor who nurses her back to health after she suffers a mental breakdown, then I can handle a bunch of demanding attorneys.


Fun fact: I wrote a fan letter to Eileen Davidson, who plays Ashley, way back in the mid 80's, and received what looked like an autopen signed photo taken at a Glamour Shots in the Valley, complete with teased hair, shoulder pads, garish makeup and a rich royal blue background.  She was much prettier today, and somewhere in heaven my Grandma is smiling at this photo and eating an apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment