Sunday, March 24, 2013

Catching up with Jim Carrey and Steve Buscemi

The release of cinematic masterpiece The Incredible Burt Wonderstone (insert laugh track/eye roll) meant it's stars Steve Carell, Jim Carrey and Steve Buscemi would be doing press, and what better place to promote the blockbuster than Good Morning America?  Carell showed up on Wednesday, but I didn't because I've already shot him, and frankly, I find him boring.  Not a fan of The Office, The 40-Year Old Virgin was a painfully long movie with one funny scene, and I really only watched Crazy, Stupid, Love for Ryan Gosling.  Mmmm.....Ryan Gosling.... So no new pics of Steve Carell kids. 

Thursday was Jim Carrey day, and I must say that I'm on the fence about this guy.  He was great on In Living Color, (I defy you to watch a Fire Marshall Bill sketch and not laugh) but his frenetic energy got on my very last gay nerve in Ace Ventura, Pet Detective, and has lived there ever since.  I also blame him for subjecting us to Cameron Diaz, casting her in The Mask and launching her career.  Fuck you  Jim Carrey!  There were fans at the windows when I got to the studio, but it didn't matter.   In a stroke of comedic brilliance or mad egotism depending on your point of view, Jim stood on the ledge in the window, frozen like a statue with the face of a madman, for about ten minutes.  Frozen.  Like a statue.  Only blinking, but not moving.  It was incredible and slightly uncomfortable to see.  But I got a good picture and didn't have to wait through the interview or go to the barricade, so there you go.


Friday was Steve Buscemi's turn to promote, and what a let down he was.  He was already in the studio by the time I arrived, and there were tons of fans in the window, so finding an angle to shoot him was a little tricky.  I finally settled on the far corner, completely diagonal to the chairs and about as far away from the action as you can get without being across the street at Toys-R-Us.  It's where middle America is always standing when Sam Champion comes out to do the weather and ask some lucky middle-aged woman in sweat pants and a bad bob where she's from even though the neon pink sign in her hand clearly says Wichita and all her friends back home pretend to be excited for her but really just want to poke her through the eye with a salad fork when she brags about it at the church social the following Sunday.  Thank God for a strong zoom lens.






No comments:

Post a Comment