Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Shirley Manson - Bow Down To Her

If Shirley Manson had leaned down into the sold out theater, pointed at me, second row center, and ordered me to rob a bank with a banana and my looks I would be writing this blog on toilet paper in a cold jail cell right now.  With her smeared lipstick, dizzying eyes and salacious vocals, the redheaded firebomb demands your worship.  Hey boy take a look at me, let me dirty up your mind indeed! 

I've been a Garbage fan since the first strains of Stupid Girl in 1995, and have seen them live more times than I can remember, including another show this Friday night at Terminal 5 in Manhattan.  Their shows are a full-throttle sensual attack, a technofied mistress spanking you for ninety minutes before softly kissing you goodnight, so the opportunity to see Shirley Manson up close and personal was something I was NOT going to miss!

The setting was the IFC Center in the West Village, where the Modern School of Film was screening 'In the Mood for Love' followed by a panel discussion with Shirley Manson, who had chosen the film as one of her favorites.  I jumped on the B train right after work, and got to the theater at 5:45 for the 7:00 showing.  Tenth in line, I was stuck between a snotty girl from Delaware who's every other word was 'like' and an aging gay couple eating takeout pizza, which made me realize that I forgot to pack my Pure bar in my bag and was gonna be damn hungry by the time this was over.    Doors opened at 6:45 and you would think it was the damn White House Easter Egg hunt the way people rushed into the theatre, all scrambling for the front row, center seats, best view, aisle seats, and then, finally, for those at the end of the line, the last row of the hundred seat theater.  I, of course, got stuck next to the fattest guy in the room, because God has a sick sense of humor and can't let me have just one perfect starstruck night.  Just as the lights were about to go down, I noticed Shirley sitting in the back of the theatre, all porcelain skin and ruby haired perfection, and my heart started racing.  OMG!  OMG!  OMG!  Pull it together girl!

I can't even with the movie, which was 98 minutes of subtitles, Chinese angst, and noodle eating.  Lights up, Shirley was introduced and talked for about half an hour about the movie, but I can't tell you one word she said because I was in a Manson Family daze, snapping pictures and just basking in her randy, angry, vindictive, hurt aura.  Yeah, you try keeping your senses.  I'm not sure if anyone was there for the movie, because when the discussion ended everyone lingered, asking for autographs or pictures as we moved from the theatre to the lobby to the sidewalk.  There was no way I was leaving empty handed, so I defly maneuvered to the sidewalk, where I was rewarded with a smile, a sexy maniacal laugh, and the best picture of my fanboy life! 

'You can touch me if you want, but you can't stop' - Shirley Manson



No comments:

Post a Comment