Monday, March 11, 2013

Reach out, touch faith!

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that sometimes I'm taking pictures for the sake of taking pictures, and sometimes I really care about the people I'm taking pictures of.   Today I actually cared.  I took a late lunch and headed over to 53rd and Broadway around 2:00, hoping to catch Depeche Mode arriving at The Late Show with David Letterman.  (Thank God it's only one subway stop away!)  I've been a Depeche fan since college, and can still remember when Violator came out and MTV would play the Personal Jesus video on heavy rotation back when MTV played videos.  We'd all go over to my friend Robert Uribe's apartment Saturday night after my part time job and get ready to go to Tracks, the big gay disco down in the skeevy part of Washington, DC.  I used to love that club.  Sigh.  And then there was the concert where my Citibank contact Greg, who I later realized was interested in me, invited me to their skybox and I invited the guy I was dating at time.  Awkward!  Or the free concert they gave back in 2009 at the corner of Hollywood and Vine that had crowds jamming the streets for five blocks in every direction and helicopters flying the skies like we were under attack.  Ah, the good old days!

When I arrived there were three other fans waiting, and the barricades were set up across the street from the entrance.  This can be a little dicey depending on the traffic as the guests arrive, but thankfully today there weren't many buses or large trucks passing by.  Half an hour ticked by, and fans slowly started to collect at the barricade, but there couldn't have been more than twenty when the first SUV pulled up, and out stepped Dave Gahan.  Dave Gahan!  Dave Gahan is a rock and roll God in my book, and he looked every inch the part in head to toe black. 






Not long after, Martin Gore and Andrew Fletcher arrived in separate SUV's (which I will never understand, but whatever), one after the other.  Like literally, one after the other.  Martin looked a little yenta-ish in a ski jacket and cap, a far cry from the gender bender glam days, and Andrew would have blended in with anyone on the street.  Sadly, none of them crossed the street to sign  or pose for pictures, but I will still rock my ass off when they tour later this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment