Thursday, May 16, 2013

Modern Family's Eric Stonestreet

Though it sweeps the Emmy awards each year and has a cult-like following, I've never drunk the Modern Family kool-aid.  When my boyfriend and I went to see Sandra Bernhard in December Jesse Tyler Ferguson and his boyfriend were seated at the table behind us, and I probably would have geeked the fuck out if I watched the show, but instead I just sat and sipped my diet coke and took in the brilliance of Bernhard.  I remember Sofia Vergara from a number of failed television shows, her even bigger failed relationship with a Miami nightclub promoter who ended up going to jail for murder, and her name planted in every issue of Ocean Drive magazine by an overworked publicist back in the days when she was trying to differentiate herself from every other cholita on the South Beach ho stroll trying to catch a break.  And who can forget Ed O'Neill's star-making turn as Al Bundy back in the days when Married with Children and The Simpsons were the only things on Fox?  But for the life of me I've never heard of Eric Stonestreet before Modern Family.

Yesterday, Eric was at Good Morning America, and couldn't have been nicer.  He did an interview outside in Times Square, and made the effort to go down the line and speak with each person, sign autographs, and make the middle-aged ladies in their pastel embroidered sweatshirts and the obligatory bobbed haircut required in order to collect social security benefits feel special while their husbands, bursting at the seams in too tight track jackets, dutifully take pictures so they brag to their friends when they go back to middle America.  He was very nice, and I was in and out in twenty minutes, after a lady was kind enough to give me her spot at the barricade and regale me with a story about her hairdresser, Amanda Bynes, and shitty extensions.  Now THAT'S a picture!



No comments:

Post a Comment