Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Miami Nice!

I've always felt a connection to Gloria Estefan throughout my life.  I know that sounds weird, considering she's a Cuban immigrant turned global superstar and I'm an Italian queen turning another year older, but hear me out...

Gloria performed at Chautauqua Institution in upstate NY in 1985, at the height of the Conga craze, and I didn't go to that concert with my church CYO gruop (I know, right?) because those kids were boring.  She symbolized Miami, and I bought her greatest hits CD at Uncle Sam's Music in Miami (and vowed that one day I'd live in Miami too).  She lives on Star Island, and I would drive past Star Island on my way to work every morning when I finally moved to Miami.  She almost died in a bus accident, and released 'Coming Out of the Dark' as her triumphant return, and I almost died getting trampled by a bull in Pamplona, and heard 'Coming Out of the Dark' on over and over on Spanish radio in the hospital when I couldn't sleep at night.  You get the idea.

Well, Gloria's been in NYC this week to promote her new album The Standards, and one of her stops was Sirius studios, which is a block from my office.  You guessed it.....I was there!  It wasn't the first time I've seen her in person (stairwell at the parking garage of the South Beach movie theatre/assisting her and her daughter at Lucky Brand on Lincoln Road) but it was the first time I could tell her how much her music means to me, and she couldn't have been nicer!


No comments:

Post a Comment