Friday, January 11, 2013

Iman. Supermodel.....not so super

Iman is a beautiful woman - one of the world's first supermodels, and an icon in the fashion industry.  The wife of David Bowie, she's also the CEO of IMAN cosmetics, skincare and fragrances.  This morning she shared makeup tips as part of Good Morning America's series featuring the health, wardrobe and beauty secrets of the supermodels.  (Note to GMA: Please get Naomi, Linda, Christy or Paulina in there for SOMETHING!)  Basically, this was a chance for Iman to promote her beauty line, and she was all over twitter and facebook to let fans know about her appearance on the show.  Which is why completely ignoring the fans outside GMA was such a surprise.

When I met Iman a few years ago at one of my boyfriend's photo shoots, she was wonderful, walking up to me and introducing herself, as if I didn't know who she was.  Um...hello...you're the reason I left work early and came here!  We took a picture together and she went on with the shoot.  I was hoping to get that picture signed this morning.

I arrived at GMA to find lots of people in the studio, many more than usual and all standing against the window.  You couldn't see in, and there was no way I'd be able to get a shot through the window.  Since I really only wanted the autograph, I went to the barricade, where a few people, including my friend Maria, were waiting.  'She walked right in...didn't stop or look or wave or anything' she told me.  'Was she made up?' I asked, thinking maybe she was running late on time.  'Yeah.  She looked beautiful and walked right in.'  Oh boy!  Getting this autograph was not going to be easy.

The segment ended about 20 minutes later, ans as the SUV  started, the stage door opened and Iman emerged, surrounded  by bodyguards.  The guy next to me reached out and we both called her name, hoping she would stop to sign.  The paparazzi called out to her from all around us, and she casually waved, keeping her eyes firmly fixed on the waiting SUV.  And then she was gone, and that feeling of disappointment set in, like someone put a pin in your balloon.

Now, I am not under the illusion that celebrities owe their fans a photo op or an autograph at every public appearance.  And I have always said you need to be prepared to walk away empty handed.  But there is something unsettling about a celebrity hawking their movie/album/book, etc. one minute and completely ignoring their fans the next.

So here's the unsigned photo of Iman and I, taken back in early 2011.  One day, perhaps, there will be another opportunity to have it signed.


No comments:

Post a Comment