Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Life is a cabaret, old chum! - Liza Minelli, Joel Grey, Michael York, Marisa Berenson and the curious case of Quentin Crisp

Today was supposed to be epic - Liza Minelli, Joel Grey, Michael York and Marisa Berenson reuniting on the Today Show in honor of the 40th anniversary of their film 'Cabaret'.  Oh, and Michael Bolton too.  And in a weirdly comic way, it was epic.

I gave myself some extra time this morning, jumping on the F train around 7:15.  When I got to Rockefeller Center, Marie was already there and told me that everyone was already in.  I could hear one of the paparazzi, Derek, complaining, but sometimes it happens and you just deal with it and hope to catch them coming out. 

The Today Show setup is pretty awful.  The main guest entrance is on West 48th street, with a long covered corridor leading to the glass doors, and another corridor behind that.  Since it's private property, security will ask you to move if you're standing in the corridor, so everyone has to congregate on the sidewalk, dodging people on their way to work and tourists asking 'Who are you waiting for?' when they see a bunch of people hanging around with cameras.  Thankfully, there's plenty of time to get ready when a celebrity is leaving because the glass doors allow you to see the celebrity as soon as they round the corner into the corridor.

I'm not sure what kept me on the sidewalk rather than going around the corner to the Rockefeller Plaza window or leaving for work, but I waited a little while and I'm glad I did because just after 8:00 AM a car pulled up and Marisa Berenson stepped out.  Marisa is an actress, model and socialite, a 70's version of Paris Hilton, but with class.  Extremely gracious even though running late, she signed autographs and posed for a few pictures before heading inside.  Knowing they had all arrived and that they were staying into the fourth hour with Kathy Lee and Hoda, I headed to work.

Around 10AM I took my lunch break and headed back over to catch them coming out.  The crowd in the plaza is much smaller in the Kathy Lee/Hoda hour, so I was ble to see through the studio window.  Around 10:30 the segment started, the four seated on the sofa in the far corner, clearly visible, although photos from that distance would be grainy through the glass.  The paparazzi hovered around the lobby window, RJ on one side, Roger over my shoulder, Derek around the corner, all waiting for the segment to end, scoping the exits to see which way they'd leave.

And then it happened.  This older queen, in all her Quentin Crisp finery, came over, asking if Liza had left yet.  I couldn't help but chuckle to myself, because of course he was a Liza fan, and of course he was asking me.  I guess his gaydar still works.  As we watched through the window, Joel, Michael and Marisa entered the lobby, heading downstairs to the green room, Marisa pausing long enough to come and kiss the window.  This woman is everything!!  And before I knew it, Quentin Crisp was marching himself downstairs with the group, asking for autographs!  And he got them!!  You go Miss Thing!!!  I didn't see Liza come out, but she must have taken the elevator because with those hips there's no way she's getting down that long flight of stairs unnoticed.

There is a place at the window where you can stand and see down into the green room, which is really just a poorly curtained off area where people can leave their jackets.  I know there's a more comfortable green room somewhere, though I don't know whey they didn't use it today.  From this vantage point we could see Michael York putting his jacket on, and Joel Grey wiping his makeup off in the dressing table mirror, which would have been a fabulous picture if he'd been standing slightly to the right so his face was reflected into the mirror from our angle.  And then Michael Bolton, who I'd completely forgotten about, headed downstairs, and Miss Thing marched herself downstairs again and got his autograph too.  I don't know who this ballsy old queen is, but he is my new hero!

Peering down, we could see them milling around, jackets on and ready to leave.  Depending on whether they ascended the stairs or kept walking, we could also tell whether they'd leave through the garage or the 48th street entrance.  So when they three climbed the stairs and turned toward the corridor, I found myself running around the corner, hoping to meet the them at the 48th street exit.  Note to self: they are three senior citizens, you do not need to run.  And there is no graceful way to run in Rockefeller Plaza in work clothes.  Don't do it.

Confirming my thoughts that the older generation of celebrities are more gracious than the younger ones, Joel, Marisa and Michael emerged together, happily signing autographs, posing for pictures and answering questions before heading off.  No sign of Liza, who definitely left through the garage, but Melanie Fiona came out, and one lone person asked for an autograph before we all started taking pictures, not sure who she was until afterward.  And Michael Bolton kept me waiting much longer than I expected before I had to get back to work.  Sorry Michael, I'm not losing my job to take your picture.

 Marisa Berenson

Joel Grey

Michael York

Melanie Fiona



2 comments:

  1. I was there for a little while after you left the first time and saw them tape their first segment. A short while later, Joel came outside and walked over the nearby bakery and got some breakfast. I was going to ask for a photo, but it didn't seem appropriate at the time. Then Liza came out the side door by the Plaza and stood outside smoking for about ten minutes. She had producers and security with her, so I didn't approach, but maybe I should've.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It never hurts to try. If security says no then at least you know, but she's a pretty nice lady so she may have posed with you.

      Delete