Monday, January 21, 2013

Valerie Harper is a doll! Plus Taye Diggs and Drew Barrymore!

While most of the country was settling in to watch the inauguration, I was up early this morning intent on getting an autograph.  Valerie Harper's to be exact.  Ms. Harper was supposed to be on GMA last week, but a brief hospitalization forced her to reschedule for today, along with Drew Barrymore and Taye Diggs.  Hoping to get lucky, I brought the memoir she was promoting along with the picture of us together.

I got to the barricade early, and there were a few paparazzi on the west side and two autographers on the east side.  When you want an autograph, it's always best to stand with the other autographers, because if someone starts signing on one side of the barricade it's unlikely they'll sign on the other.  I took my place at the barricade, closest to the stage door, figuring if Drew or Taye arrived I'd have enough time to snap a shot even if they kept walking.  Rudy, the crossed eyed guy who sells autographs online asked if I would help him get Drew's signature on a photo, and before I could catch myself I said yes.  Great, now I have one extra thing to hold onto, along with the book in my hand, the camera in my pocket and the bag over my shoulder.

A few more autographers arrived, including a guy whose name I can't remember but who always has a bag full of photos and always seems to know where and when someone  will be somewhere.  He took his place beside me and we starting chatting to pass the time. Turns out he's been doing this for 15 years, and has prety much met them all.  He told me Drew is tough to get, and has a horrible driver/bodyguard that cock blocks whenever he can.  The general consensus was that Drew is a bitch and this would not be easy. 

At 7:30 the first car pulled up.  Book and sharpie in one hand, camera in the other, I waited for the door to open.  And when it did, out stepped Valerie Harper!  The paparazzi calling from one side, the autographers calling from the other, I'm sure she was a bit surprised.  I reached my book out to her, asking if she'd sign.  She said she had to get inside and couldn't right then, and when I asked if she'd sign on the way out (I don't know why that automatically came out of my mouth, but it did.) she took a moment to consider the question before replying 'Yes, sure I will.'  The door closed behind her, and I put my book back in my bag, preparing myself for Drew's arrival.  (I'm still going to get a picture first, and then try for the autograph if possible.) 

And then the most curious, wonderful thing happened.  Valerie Harper came back outside to sign my book!  She said they didn't need her just yet, and she'd be happy to sign.  I was stunned!  People don't do that.  They  go inside and stay inside, and sometimes they say they'll sign  on the way out and do, and sometimes they blow you off.  But never do they come back outside just to sign.  I grabbed my book, and she was thrilled that I bought it.  I showed her the photo of the two of us together and she immediately knew where it was taken and asked how I'd like it made out.  She also signed my book, before going back inside.  I'm not sure what the other autographers were thinking, but I was floating on air.  Such a sweet lady!!!


Tony and Allie arrived - Tony wanting Taye's autograph and Allie expecting that Drew was going to stop, pose with her, and sign a photo.  The girl is unreal, and keeps talking talking talking random stream of consciousness thoughts even when nobody is listening.  Taye arrived next, and of course Tony wasn't ready and missed the opportunity to get his autograph, even when he hesitated for a second before going in.



Ten or fifteen minutes may not seem like a long time, but it feels like forever when you're standing around waiting for someone to arrive.  And it IS forever when you're freezing, which is what I was by the time Drew arrived.  My fingers and toes numb, I wasn't able to snap a shot as she walked right in, although Tony and Ally swore she said she'd sign on the way out.  I didn't hear it, but I didn't care either.  Just wanna get a pic.  Rudy asked if I was staying until she left, and I seized the moment and told him I was going to check the window but I'd be back to help him if he'd hold my spot, which of course never happens. 

I guess the reason Drew bolted in was because she was running really late, and her segment was up next.  Not too many people in the window, and I was able to get a few clean shots quickly as she pitched her new cosmetics line because I guess when your father-in-law is the former head of Chanel you are automatically a cosmetics mogul.  After her segment, I headed back to the barricades, hoping to get a shot of Drew leaving.  The east side was full and paparazzi spilled onto the sidewalk and curb, but the west barricade was empty, except for one female paparazzi that I haven't seen in awhile, so I joined her.  Rudy looked at me like I was deserting  him, and I guess in a way I was, but there was no way anyone was going to let me back in the front of the barricade, especially Allie, who took my spot, babbling on and on about how cold she was and how her picture of Drew was so dark and how it was so unfair.  The photographer next to me could believe how silly this girl was acting.  Even  the tourists behind us were laughing, and we couldn't wait to see the disappointment when Drew ignored her on the way out. It sound horrible, but it's true.

After a few false starts, the door opening and publicists or stylists coming out, the paparazzi cameras going up and quickly down again, out came  Drew.  Walking directly to the van, she looked as though she was the only one there when a strange thing happened.  I'm not sure how, even now, but she turned around, walked over to Allie, and signed her damn photo.  And then the guy who's name I forgot.  And then Rudy and Tony.  Paparazzi flashbulbs going crazy.  The photographer next to me called out to her as she turned toward the van, and Drew gave us a quick wave as she got into the van.  Sadly, the shots were a little too bright from all the flashbulbs going off, and I don't know photoshop too well, so I have to settle for the shot through the window.


No comments:

Post a Comment